La Clínica’s first funding for HIV Counseling, Testing and Referral (CTR) services in 1989 from the Washington AIDS Partnership. Today, La Clínica’s HIV program offers core and supportive services that span the continuum of HIV prevention and care.
La Clínica has the advantage of being the oldest Latino-based clinic providing stand-alone, Spanish-language CTR services, and is widely regarded to be one of the most comprehensive resources for immigrants living with HIV/AIDS.
La Clínica’s model for voluntary HIV testing adheres to the eight core elements of the CDC’s Provisional Procedural Guidance for Community-based Organizations released in 2008. La Clínica’s HIV testing model is to:
- obtain consent before service delivery
- provide pre-screening information and education
- provide client–centered comprehensive HIV prevention counseling
- adhere to established sobriety standards for clients to ensure counselors obtain competent consent
- use oral rapid HIV testing approved by the FDA
- provide supportive test result delivery in the client’s language of choice to ensure comprehension of the results and their implications
- provide comprehensive referrals to appropriate post-testing services based on testing results, risk-factors and need; and
- thoroughly track client referrals.
CTR is available at La Clínica for free:
Monday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am - 8:30 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am - 8:30 pm
Friday: 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
If you need more information, contact:
- Rosa Altamirano
CTR Program Manager